Wednesday, June 27, 2007

At the Interview

NTS Exam

Having been exhorted by my Social Science teacher, Mrs. Vimala Naidu, I had decided to write the National Talent Search Examination when I was in my Tenth Standard. I had company since many of my friends had also applied for it. Without an air of seriousness, I just went into it. I never prepared anything especially for this. Nor did I read any books on the past NTS exams, which my friends were doing. But I had always liked Math, Science and Social studies. These were the major subjects covered by this exam. So perhaps, I didn’t need to prepare for it.

I forget the dates, but the exam was held at the Meenakshi Girls School! At that time, we owned a second-hand Maruti Omni and I went to the exam in my car. It was fun to see the driver ask for directions to the ‘Girls’ school! Anyways, many of my friends had already arrived there and I reached just in time fro the exam. It went on very well, despite my lack of preparation. With confidence, I finished my exam before time. Some weeks later, I received a mail informing me that I had been selected for the second round. Great! So, I cleared the exam and I was one step closer to becoming an NTS Scholar.

My First Interview

I still keep all the mails with me for record. I just searched the internet and learnt a few tips on attending interviews. I came across some dress code for these but ignored them. On the day of the interview, I was surprisingly calm. Why was I not anxious or nervous? After all, it was my very first interview! Never before had I attended any such thing and I had no experience whatsoever. Anyways, after my morning routines and breakfast, I got ready for the interview. I wore a casual tee-shirt and pant with typically ‘unprofessional’ sandals! My father did mention about ties, shirts and shoes but I had none. What else could I do? Then again, I didn’t take any folder of certificates with me, just the reference letter.

On reaching the place, I was shocked to see most of the other candidates dressed in neat ironed full-sleeve shirts and pants complete with belt, tie and shoes! The kind of person one sees in companies, I thought. Many also had fancy folders in their hands. Now, I was beginning to feel a little out of place. But my father reassured me that only my confidence and answering counted. Then he wished me luck and left. I had to calm down and collect myself so as to focus on the interview ahead. A lady there called persons by name to enter the interview room. I did get a peek into the room when my neighbor’s turn came. I figured out that there were many people, not one to carry out the interview. I was pondering over whether this was more advantageous. While I was thinking of how to greet them, the lady called out my name. Oh God! This was it, my first break, my first interview!

A Pleasant Surprise

As I entered the room, I faced the two madams and an elderly gentleman sitting on one side of the table. I immediately wished them all and entered. The sir stood up, wished me back and requested me to enter. Lo! He was also dressed in a tee shirt and wore sandals! I was pleasantly surprised by this and it restored my calmness and confidence. After all, the interviewer was a kind looking elder and not a mean ‘company’ man dressed in a coat suite. Having taken my seat, the sir asked me about the exam and school life in general. The ‘friendly’ chat helped me a lot as I settled in that atmosphere with ease. Then, the interview began with the madams asking me questions on geography and civics. I scarcely remember them, but one was – ‘What are the oil producing regions of India?’ As the questions progressed, I was able to answer almost all of them very well. Then they asked – ‘What are the types of elections?’ After that they posed the question in which I stumbled - ‘Who conducts the general elections?’ I replied ‘The Election Commission of India’. ‘Correct. Who conducts the local body elections’? Again I replied ‘Election Commission’. ‘Which Election Commission?’ I had no idea as I didn’t know that there were different ‘types’ of ECs. As I blinked, she gave the answer – ‘There are agencies called State Election Commissions which conduct local level polls.’ I just nodded my head in acknowledgment as if I knew the answer! Then they wrapped up the interview session and wished me ‘All the best for the future!’ I thanked them and left the place.

After coming out, I heaved a heavy sigh of relief! Finally, my interview was over and I had done it well. After a few weeks, I got a call from Delhi informing me tat I had been selected for the scholarship. Oh God! I was extremely happy and my mother phoned up Vimala madam and thanked her for her encouragement. I am still thankful to her, for it was because of her that I came to know about this prestigious scholarship and eventually went on to become an NTSE scholar myself.

1 comment:

relaxdontpanic said...

fine job..we expect more from u!!